How to Safeguard Your Child from Suicidal "Momo Challenge"
Introduction: -The "Momo Challenge" is a form of cyberbullying that spreads through social media and cell phones. After phone users are enticed to contact a Momo account through WhatsApp. Momo is a suspicious account on WhatsApp, Facebook, and YouTube, which is using the image of a horror artwork called Mother Bird by Link Factory to induce curiosity among children, challenging them to communicate with an unknown number.
What should you do when you receive such messages?
- Exit from the chat and delete it.
- Block the number you received the message from.
- Cover the phone cameras, especially the front camera with some stickers.
- It is recommended to turn off the auto download feature on Whatsapp to avoid getting any attachments stored.
- Disconnect the mobile data immediately.
Below are Safeguards :
- Children are deceived easily due to the lack of composure and experience at their age, which is quite natural and hence, they are quite vulnerable. As parents, we should keep a vigil and constant eye on our children and let them cope up with such challenges early on. Here are few precautionary tips to safeguard our children from such online games.
- Try and speak to your child about these games and let them know why these games are unworthy to even indulge into. Talk to them positively about life and keep them positive at all times.
- Keep a close eye on the gadgets and especially over messaging apps. Since these games are unable to launch apps, websites because of security reasons, they execute over messaging apps which are free and have easy access to children. • Try and delete numbers which are unknown and seems fishy. • Do not be part of any group where you are not known to Admin or the purpose of the group seems shady. • Explore privacy settings on WhatsApp to restrict from showing your number and details to others who are not added in your phone-book.
- Involve yourself with the child in daily routines. Children who remain glued to gadgets are more prone to get along with such deadly games. Hence, try to restrict the gadgets and be attentive if your child is spending unusual time on messaging or other apps.
- Apart from gadgets your child’s social media accounts could also be a medium of such games. For instance, Facebook messenger and other messengers can also be used as potential access medium to target your children. Try and ensure that your child is chatting to people known to you and any unknown contacts are traced to rule out any such possibilities
- Always use an updated & upgraded antivirus for better security of your device like Connect Safe http://bit.ly/ConnectSafe-All